The Whyalla Recreation Centre has been recognised as the leading YMCA managed centre in South Australia, at the YMCA South Australia awards.
The centre, which is managed by the YMCA on behalf of the local council, won the Jack Massey Team of the Year award for 2020-21.
The Whyalla Recreation Centre works with the community through a number of programs and services, including swimming education for primary school and special needs students and hosting quarterly Family Fun Days to raise money for community causes.
The award was presented by YMCA South Australia Chief Operating Officer, Andrew Mundy.
“The key point of difference is being the real 'community hub' for Whyalla, which is a result of their focused and dedicated team work and passion for their local community,” says Mr Mundy.
The award acknowledges the effort and commitment made by local staff and volunteers during a challenging year for the not-for-profit due to the ongoing effects of Covid.
Whyalla Recreation Centre’s initiatives include:
- Working with local schools and kindergartens to promote the Learn to Swim program
- Partnering with the YMCA Community Strengthening team to grow the Leap Takers program at the Centre
- Hosting quarterly ‘Family Fun Days’ to raise funds for community causes and support the local and regional community
- Working with DECD to deliver swimming education to primary school and special needs students across the regional area
- Successfully applied for a grant from the Office of Recreation and Sport for stadium equipment upgrades
- Collaboration with City of Whyalla in Australia Day celebrations
- Collaboration with City of Whyalla, Novita and Whyalla Special School for the purchase of a new disability lifter for WRC pools
- Creation of an Events Committee for local fundraising efforts