Residents are invited to attend the grand opening celebration for the new Joy Baluch Bridge tomorrow.
Between 10am and 2pm on Saturday the community are free to walk across the bridge before it opens to traffic.
The event will incorporate an official opening ceremony, food vendors, discussions with PW2PA Alliance project team members, live music and children’s activities including bridge building competitions and amusement rides.
Access to this event is only available from the Westside Foreshore and car parking is limited.
If you can’t leave your car at home, you can park at the dedicated car park and jump on a bus, which will take you to the Westside Foreshore from where you can walk across the new bridge.
Buses will run every 15 minutes between the car park and event site. In the interest of community health, please observe social distancing and wear a mask on the bus.
It is anticipated that between 4000-6000 people will attend.
The event will incorporate:
- An official opening ceremony
- A pedestrian walk over the bridge led by the Anderson Dancers Dancing across the bridge
- Food vendors and seating stationed on the new bridge:
- The Port Augusta Lions Club free sausage sizzle, piping hot doughnuts and drinks for $1
- Kieran’s Kitchen offering free coffee and their full menu to purchase
- Smokey Upper Cuts dishing up Free Loaded Nachos plus there full menu to purchase
- PW2PA project team members will be positioned on the bridge to answer any questions
- The event main car park will be set up near Tassie Street
- Chartered buses to shuttle between the car park and the Westside Foreshore
- Children’s bridge building competition
- Chalk drawing on the bridge/SUP
- Live Music
- Children’s amusement rides - Jumbo Train and Fantasy Flight
- A games station set-up on the activity area
- Tilly Thomas – Performing 2 sets during the event
- Invite local police to host a display
- Port Augusta Library Emu will be participating in the bridge walk and reading to children
- Magic FM broadcast across the event
- Project information marquee / displays
- Photo booth
- Commemorative certificates and photo for the event