The State Government has now revealed which hospitals will be losing staff in the health jobs cut that will see 1,140 employees sacked over the next 12 months.
The cut is outlined in the budget and will include dismissals from the following regions:
- Barossa Hills/Fleurieu (8 staff axed)
- Eyre Far North (4 staff axed)
- Flinders Upper North (4 staff axed)
- Riverland Mallee Coorong (4 staff axed)
- Limestone Coast (3 staff axed)
- Yorke and Northern (2 staff axed)
Shadow Minister for Health Chris Pictor said these people do an amazing job and deserve to know if their job is safe.
“We can’t afford to lose doctors, nurses, paramedics and other health staff, two thirds of every dollar spent in health is on the staff who provide valuable care,” he said.
“The Minister must outline which positions will be the ones to go.”
The releases are being carried out despite a flu season which has already claimed 42 lives.
The Government also has plans to raise the cost of calling an ambulance to $1025, the first time its topped one thousand.