A stray dog infected with a highly contagious and potentially lethal virus has been found in Whyalla.
This incident has prompted authorities to issue a warning to dog owners in the area.
The dog, a young male Staffordshire cross, was discovered in Whyalla Stuart and appeared healthy initially but later exhibited severe diarrhea, prompting tests that confirmed it had contracted parvovirus.
Parvovirus spreads through contact with the vomit and feces of infected dogs, causing symptoms like bloody diarrhoea, vomiting, and lethargy.
Without prompt treatment, it can result in death with The virus sometimes remaining dormant for up to a year.
Previous outbreaks in Whyalla have led to serious cases, including dogs collapsing in the street and needing to be euthanized.
The local council and veterinary experts recommend immediate vaccination to prevent the spread of this dangerous disease in the community.